Take the 2-minute tour ×
Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems.. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to get around a permission issue I am having. The only reasonable option (other than ACL) is to add the user that needs access to the system group of the user that has access. Yes, the user that has access was birthed as a system user. Lets assume the GID is 121 and the needy user is dog.

When I sudo usermod -aG 121 dog it says 121 isn't a group or something of the like; the ls -al CLEARLY shows that the GID of the directory is 121.

Is this method not possible or am I encountering some interesting problem?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Michael Mrozek May 20 '12 at 7:05

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Try using the group name as opposed to the group number –  hbdgaf May 20 '12 at 5:45
I do, and it says it doesnt exist... –  snnth May 20 '12 at 5:52
If ls -la shows the gid instead of the group name it means that your system can't lookup the gid. This could either mean your setup is incorrect (ldap/nis/winbind not working) or you copied the files from an old system and you have to update the permissions manually –  Ulrich Dangel May 20 '12 at 5:54
hmph... i think im just gonna scrap this setup and start from scratch then. –  snnth May 20 '12 at 6:09
If @UlrichDangel nailed it, then it just means you have to chown -R the folder in question. Not something worth scrapping an install over unless I'm really off-base in what your problem is –  hbdgaf May 20 '12 at 6:12

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.