Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a keyboard controlled window sizing utility similar to ShiftIt on Mac OS X: https://github.com/fikovnik/ShiftIt

share|improve this question
The URL is kinda not too verbose to understand what you need actually. – poige May 7 '12 at 14:18
@poige - maybe this can help? I have been using Breeze for OS X which is similar. – cwd May 7 '12 at 14:32
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I assume you want a feature that allows you to tile your windows like ShiftIt allows via Cmd+Shift+Left and Cmd+Shift+Right

As your question seems to be targeted at Gnome you might want to try BlueTile that seems to specifically target the Gnome-Desktop.

Apart from that I think the new Unity-Desktop from Canonical allows similar features via Ctrl+Shift+Left, Ctrl+Shift+Right and the NumPad keys (in 12.04 at least you can press the Windows key and see an overview over the available shortcuts).

And - even though I have never used it the Grid-Plugin for Compiz might also fit your needs.

Apart from that there are a ton of window managers that can do all the tiling for you, but they may require initial setup and be very different to use than the more common ones. Some examples in this camp include:

share|improve this answer
Thank you, these seem to be a great start for me to look at! – Kyle Hayes May 7 '12 at 15:03

GNOME already has some keyboard window manipulation available by default. Take a look at https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/KeyboardShortcuts

Otherwise, you may want to try using another window manager with more window control options.

share|improve this answer

Not direct answer (see mine comment), but it seems lots of X window newcomers do not know that Alt_MouseLeftBtn allows dragging windows around the screen and Alt_MouseRightBtn — resizing them (something that Mac OS X GUI sucks forlacks of) — so you don't need to take aim at hot window zones.

I usually prefer Fluxbox and it has some key-binding for changing window geom as well.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.