Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a DVD+-RW drive that has quit working. Apparently many users of this laptop model experience the same problem under windows and are required to edit the registry to correct the problem. So where should I look to make a similar edit?

share|improve this question
You are more likely to get an answer if you edit your post with information regarding precisely what the Windows registry change was (and, if you know, what the effect of the change is). – Steven D Oct 11 '10 at 22:51
Also, Super User would be a better venue, since it has people who know hardware and people who know Windows, both of which could help figure out how to transpose the Windows fix. – Gilles Oct 11 '10 at 23:16
@Steven D I started a discussion at meta about this. I'm opposed to editing it on principle, since one A has already recieved so many votes. meta.unix.stackexchange.com/questions/201/… – ixtmixilix Oct 14 '10 at 0:52
Very similar I have found one is dconf Editor. dconf-tools ![Install dconf-tools](apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/dconf-tools). It also store the settings of interfaces and applications as windows registry do. Have a look on it for your specific problem. – vusan Apr 8 at 6:32
up vote 33 down vote accepted

Thankfully, there is no Linux equivalent of the Windows registry. Configuration is kept in (mostly) text files:

  • The system configuration is in text files under /etc.
  • The system state, which in Windows ends up mixed with configuration data, lives under /var.
  • User configuration and state lives in “dot files”, i.e., files and directories whose name begins with a . in your home directory.

You can't simply transpose a registry edit to a configuration in another operating system: registry edits are completely Windows-specific. You'll have to understand what the registry edit is doing and transpose it to Linux. It's likely that you'll end up modifying a file under /etc, but there are too many potential candidates to list here (also, it might depend on your distribution).

share|improve this answer
Wow, this seems not to answer the question at all, and yet it has fourteen upvotes. – delete Oct 13 '10 at 15:42
Well the problem is that there are two very different questions here. This answer very clearly answers the question posed in the title, but the body of the question implies that "the Linux equivalent of the Windows registry" isn't what the poster is really after. – andrewsomething Oct 13 '10 at 17:22
this is what I thought to be the case upon asking the question. I suppose it's a deeper question as to where those files are exactly. – ixtmixilix Nov 2 '10 at 19:27
The first word "thankfully" helped gain my upvote. ;) – Wildcard Apr 8 at 6:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.