I used to have Fedora 14 installed on this HP Compaq 610, and the suspend feature worked fine. Now that I've installed Scientific Linux 6.1 suspend doesn't work anymore. How do I debug/fix it?
There are many ways to handle suspend and hibernate capabilities, many of the old methods are deprecated. This has made searching for solutions difficult, as it seems every solution is completely unrelated to the next. With that said...
The method currently recommended, advocated from http://pm-utils.freedesktop.org/wiki/, should be available for most recent distributions. I would first check if you have
View if the package is installed, enter this command in terminal
This should output the version you have installed. If you don't get the expected output, you need to install the package.
Once you get that verified, test out your ability to suspend.
If You don't suspend, and get no output why, check the your recent dmesg output
This should help get you started, once you get some clues its much easier to go further down the trail. Post back with comments regarding your results, I can get you through the rest.
As is suggested by Mika, as root:
In this case you're looking for where
begins. Somewhere in between you may find calls returning error, at which point suspend is inhibited. In this case, you may have suspend changes being rolled back. Figure out what service call is throwing the error, open it up in vi and take a look at it.
I had the same problem where after installing
Try this as root:
If you can suspend, but not resume, there's a good article on the Ubuntu wiki on how to debug this problem.