Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

do you know something which is able to convert almost all media types? from flv to music to wav to mp3?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

You should have a look at the FFmpeg project.

From the project description:

"FFmpeg is a complete, cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. It includes libavcodec - the leading audio/video codec library."

It is likely already installed on your system because a lot of media players depend on the libavcodec library.

To see the available codecs on your system, execute ffmpeg -codecs

share|improve this answer

ffmpeg is what you are looking for.

You can read through the official documentation.

Otherwise just search on google "convert X to Y with ffmepg", where X and Y would be the formats you trying to convert between.

A few resources that has helped me:

here and here

share|improve this answer
ffmpeg is black magic. Most of the time just ffmpeg -i input-filename output-filename will work by itself; it figures out the formats and does the right thing automatically – Michael Mrozek Sep 22 '10 at 12:23
unless you are very very unlucky – Stefan Sep 22 '10 at 12:28
and then it is really really black magic :-) – echox Sep 22 '10 at 15:08

You can try transcode too, its a great command line application.

share|improve this answer

Check out Handbrake. I use it on linux.

share|improve this answer

I regulary use http://www.online-convert.com/ which is an online service for conversion between all kinds of audio, video, image and document formats.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.