Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know there is a simple unix command that allows you to view things from the top and/or allows you to scroll indefinitely toward the top. Not sure what to call it, so it's difficult to google. Thanks to anyone who can explain how to do either one for me

share|improve this question
Scrollback is a function of the terminal emulator bash runs in, not bash itself. It would help if you posted which one you are using (gnome-terminal, xterm, konsole, rxvt, etc). Pipe output to less or any similar pager if you want to be able to scroll up independent of what your terminal can do. – jw013 Oct 10 '11 at 3:32
Lol thanks jw013. But I'm not even sure what terminal I am using! (currently I have ubuntu 11.04 installed on my computer, but I'm running it in 'classic mode' which I think using Gnome-3 instead of Unity...?) – Dark Templar Oct 10 '11 at 3:34
Yes, 'less' was definitely what I was looking for! However, do you know how to go directly to the bottom in less? (for instance, if the information you are viewing is really really long) – Dark Templar Oct 10 '11 at 3:37
Try pressing G. – jw013 Oct 10 '11 at 4:05
You sir are a genius! Thank you – Dark Templar Oct 10 '11 at 5:08
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I believe Shift+PgUp/PgDn is the binding for wandering the scrollback under the default terminal in recent Ubuntu releases.

share|improve this answer
I don't think that was quite it :( – Dark Templar Oct 10 '11 at 5:15

Terminal multiplexers screen or tmux both have this scrollback feature.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.