My initial setup:
- Lenovo U510 Ultrabook
- HDD + SSD (used by ExpressCache)
- UEFI + SecureBoot enabled
- Windows 8 preinstalled
My goal was to create a nice dualbooting setup for Windows 8 and Fedora 20.
- I installed Fedora 20 without turning of SecureBoot of 3 new partitions (root, boot, home). Grub couldn't see the Windows boot partition, Fedora worked fine.
- I installed rEFInd bootloader to fix this, as it scans whole HDD for possible boot points. (I probably could've just manually set things in grub, but I chose the easier way).
- My boot sequence looks like this: rEFInd -> "Windows 8 Boot" from it's partition OR "Fedora 20" boot which starts grub, giving me choices I've had before installing refind (Fedora, rescue, and "Windows Boot Manager" - entry which woulnd't load, as the path is wrong or something)
I'd like to have only one bootloader working (
refind looks like a good choice), with no
grub, everything SecureBooting properly.
Also I'd like to put all bootloaders onto one partition (the Windows one), to reduce the partition count without reinstalling anything.
How should I proceed?
[root@lenovo refind]# parted /dev/sdb print Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi) Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B Partition Table: gpt Disk Flags: Number Start End Size File system Name Flags 1 1049kB 1050MB 1049MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag 2 1050MB 1322MB 273MB fat32 EFI system partition boot, hidden 3 1322MB 2371MB 1049MB fat32 Basic data partition hidden 4 2371MB 2505MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres 5 2505MB 318GB 316GB ntfs Basic data partition 6 318GB 318GB 210MB fat16 EFI System Partition boot 10 318GB 319GB 524MB ext4 11 319GB 489GB 170GB lvm 7 489GB 490GB 367MB ntfs hidden, diag 8 490GB 979GB 489GB ntfs Basic data partition 9 979GB 1000GB 21.5GB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
sdb6is /boot/efi (fat16 - can't enter it's directories, but I can modify them)
sdb6directory tree: http://pastebin.com/nKJyyY7X
sdb2is where /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi resides (I assume this is the windows bootloader, because this is the "SYSTEM_DRV" partition from which refind boots windows)
sdb2dir tree: http://pastebin.com/QHHUkMki
Currently available options in
- Boot Microsoft EFI boot from SYSTEM_DRV => boots correctly
- Boot EFI\BOOT\fallback.efi from 199 MiB FAT volume
- Boot EFI\fedora\grubx64.efi from 199 MiB FAT volume => boots grub
- Boot EFI\fedora\gcdx64.efi from 199 MiB FAT volume
- Start MS recovery on LRS_ESP => sdb3
Options in grub:
- Fedora (various kernels) => boots fedora (finally)
- Windows Boot Manager => gives error:
file /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found, you need to load the kernel first
EFI order in BIOS:
rEFInd, Fedora, Windows Boot Manager